LA Jewels: The City of Angels is known for Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, UCLA, USC, Dodgers, and HIPSTERS! But lets not forget that Los Angeles is also a melting pot of different cultures. From the Westside, to KoreaTown, to South LA, to East LA, we have a little of everything.
If you live in LA (city) and you have not heard about Howlin' Ray's and all the hot chicken hype... where the hell have you been living? Under a rock!?
As I am typing this, I am hella hesitant to even talk about Howlin' Ray's just cause the line is already ridiculously long and the last thing I need is for more people to know about it and make the line even longer. Longer lines = HANGRY LaWendy. But I guess I'll play nice and give you the lowdown on Howlin'.
Howlin' Ray's serves up Nashville style hot chicken in LA's Chinatown. From their not-so-basic boneless chicken breast (aka the Skinny Jimmy), to their Hot Chicken Sando (Mahhhhh Favorite!), or better yet, their Waffle Sando (a freaking hot chicken waffle sandwich! YASSSS) there is something for all of your friends, even the weak chafa friends that can't stand spicy food. Heat levels range from Country - zero heat, to your butt will be burning tomorrow HOT.
Howlin's is not your average fried chicken with spices thrown on it; this is BOMB fried chicken. It is not overly greasy, it's not dry, it's crispy, it's spicy, and it's going to make you want more!!!
Here's the lowdown on how LaWendy does Howlin':
1. Hit up all your friends that love Howlin' friday night with a DM or text saying "Howlin' tomorrow??" Make sure that these are NOT flaky friends.
2. Meet up at Howlin' Ray's around 9:30 AM to start making line... make sure you always invite that friend that's always on time... you will love this friend in case you are running late.
3. Park at the $5 parking lot across the street, or if you are lucky, park on Hill St. ($1.50/hr).
4. Catch up for the next two hours, make new friends, play a card game, or do as others do, bring beer and mimosas to get you through.
5. Think about what you are going to get and change your mind like 5 more times.
6. Order, pay, EAT... and cry a little cause you're overwhelmed by the deliciousness of your food.
Wipe your boogers because you underestimated the heat level you chose and now your sinuses are out of control.
7. Rinse and repeat.Confirmed rumors:
1. Howlin' is expanding its Chinatown location sometime soon. Apparently, they will also be serving alcohol in the near future.
2. They are opening a second location in Culver City sometime in 2018 (YASSSSS!!).
If you've had Howlin' let me know what you think and what heat level you prefer.
About the Author:
LaWendy is a self-proclaimed fatty and shopaholic. She enjoys driving around LA, finding new restaurants to try and new places to spend her moolah.